Charging phone

Sometimes, when you’re planning a trip out of the country, the last item you remember to pack is your power outlet converter. For some trips, though, this could be a huge mistake! Did you know that not everyone uses the same flat two-pronged power outlets like the US?

That’s right; in many countries around the world, you won’t be able to plug in your regular phone or computer charger without an outlet converter.

Voltage Differences

In addition, different countries use different voltages in their power outlets. The standard for US power outlets is 110 volts. Products bought in the US are made to accept 110-volt currents. In fact, most modern phone and computer chargers are able to accept all voltages, from 110 to 240 volts.

Antique light bulb However, you must consider this if you plan to use any electrical appliances such as hair dryers, flat irons, or curling irons. Many of these appliances, if they were bought in the US, are manufactured to only accept 110 volts.

That means that if you plug a 110-volt curling iron into a 240-volt power outlet without a converter, it will fry and likely be ruined. On the other hand, if you plug a 240-volt curling iron (from outside the US) into a 110-volt outlet, it probably won’t turn on (but it will not be ruined).

How to Plug In Your Device In Punta Cana

There is an easy solution to all of these problems: buy an outlet converter. Or, if you only plan on bringing charging cables, check your chargers: the fine print on the charger will usually state the range of voltage that it accepts.

Outlet Usage in Punta Cana

Charging laptop

So, do you need outlet or voltage converters in Punta Cana? If you’re from the US, the answer is: yes, and no. The Dominican Republic uses the same two-pronged flat power outlet and the same 110 volts as the US. You won’t need to convert voltage in Punta Cana.

However, many outlets in the Dominican Republic will not have the third grounding prong (the rounded one located beneath the two flat prongs). So, phone chargers which have only two prongs are fine. For other devices which have three prongs, you’ll need an adaptor.

Look for a universal power adaptor on Amazon; these are usable in any country around the world, so you’ll never need to get a new one.

Outlet Usage from Other Nationalities Besides USA

Phone charger

If you’re traveling to Punta Cana from other regions such as Europe, you will need an outlet adaptor and possibly also a voltage converter. You need an adaptor with two flat prongs and no third grounding prong.

Once again, check your charging cables (they will usually accept a range of 110-240 volts).

If you need to bring any other electrical appliances such as hair dryers, buy a voltage converter just to be safe. Make sure you buy one that will adapt your devices from home to fit into the Punta Cana outlets, and also one that will convert voltage down to 110 volts.

These are known as a “step down” converter and can be bought on Amazon.


  1. Thanks for letting me know that if you have three-pronged plugs, then you’ll need to bring a power inverter. I’m going to be traveling to the Caribbean soon, and I need to bring my computer with me, and it has the three prongs. Thankfully, my phone charger only has two. Still, I’ll need to find a power converter I’ll be able to use.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here